This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Planar load distribution to a beam system

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:51 PM
Edited Aug 30, 2016 at 9:55 PM
Hello all

I am sorry, I would like to ask a question not directly related to this project, but maybe it can be in the future. :)

I am in a search for information about planar load distribution to a beam system algorithms and/or implementations in C# (or anything else).

Does anyone know anything that could be of help? Thanks in advance.

See an example of implementation of such an algorithm in Autodesk Robot below (the load distribution in the picture does actually contain faulty distribution I think).

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2016 at 10:37 AM
Hi,
Do you only need to analyse such a model with C#? or you need to know the details of FEM calculations?!

Thanks
Sep 12, 2016 at 10:37 AM
Hi
Well, ultimately, I need a C# implementation as I am a developing an add in for Autodesk Revit for statics calculations. But anything of use can be of help to get me started. For example what would the name of this geometrical problem/ algorithm be. Sadly, everything in google searches is saturated with "load distribution" for webservers so it is hard to search for information about this particular problem.

I don't think I would be able to understand the details of the FEM calculations, so, no, I don't need them right now.
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2016 at 11:05 AM
Edited Sep 12, 2016 at 11:09 AM
as you can see from Features of BriefFiniteElement.NET, there are several elements currently in the BFE.NET:
  • Truss and frame element (bar elements)
  • Plate bending and membrane triangle elements (surface elements)
  • Solid tetrahedron element (volume elements)
The plate element does have some documentation, also you can find some info on how to use Frame element and loads and supports etc. in the tutorial inside codeproject.com. I think what you need is some triangle elements for your deck or slab (or whatever is its name :) ), also frame element for beams inside it. there is also uniform surface load (force per area) which can be applied to a triangle element, and uniform linear load (force per length) which can be applied to frame element.
Actually the documentation of this library is somehow poor now, and me and another friend are working for some improvements on it. soon it will be officially migrated to github with a wonderful documentation.
Sep 12, 2016 at 9:43 PM
Edited Sep 12, 2016 at 9:49 PM
I think we have a misunderstanding.

I am looking for an algorithm or implementation or what ever information is available about planar load programmatic distribution to a beam system.

If you look carefully at the picture I have supplied, you can see small symbol for load (which symbolises a planar load) at the edge beams and the coloured pieces represent the load regions that the program has split the load into and applied to beams. Imagine a cladding on a facade with an irregular system of trusses and purlins or whatever steelwork there could be, then it can be a substantial task to manually find the right load regions for the wind load for each single steel member and thats why some static programs (as Autodesk Robot) implement a feature to automatically distribute a planar load to a system of bearing beams. Which is what I am looking for. :)

Correct me if i misunderstood your previous posts.
Sep 12, 2016 at 10:17 PM
I found a short discussion of the problem: https://risa.com/risahelp/risa3d/Content/3D_2D_Only_Topics/Loads%20-%20Area%20Loads.htm#Attribution_3D

It uses FEM approach to solve the problem.
Coordinator
Sep 13, 2016 at 4:41 AM
That did makes sense.
After that you converted the area loads into beam loads, are you going to analyse the problem with Finite Element method and find internal forces or beams?
Sep 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM
Well, this particular problem I am working with, concerns only distribution of planar loads (I am developing a general stability application where the planar load is distributed to stabilising walls, calculations involved are not FEM), so not in this case. But I was thinking that automatic distribution of planar loads could really be generally helpful in your application also.