This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Truss element class sealed

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:37 AM
Edited Jun 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM
Is there some special reason for having the truss element class sealed. I would like to make a new class for circular tubes that inherits from that class. I would like it to have properties like radius, thickness, slenderness and so on. This is because I want to make buckling calculations for the separate members according to different buckling standards.

I also think the properties should be calculate updated immediately if UseOverridedProperties is set to true. But maybe the the property should be called UsePolygonProperties.

It would also be nice if the length would be a property as well. This would make it possible to query an element about its length.
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2015 at 6:06 AM
Edited Jun 23, 2015 at 6:09 AM
hi, the only reason for making it sealed was that there was no plan for other classes to derive from it. you can simply derive your custom truss element class from Element1D and add your properties...

Now i think it was not a good idea, so i'll make them non sealed ...
Jun 23, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Hello.
The thing is that if I inherent from that class I need to rewrite the whole element class. I could copy it from your code but I think that would be against the copyright, or?
/Dennis

Från: [email removed]
Skickat: ‎2015-‎06-‎23 08:06
Till: [email removed]
Ämne: Re: Truss element class sealed [BriefFiniteElementNet:640285]

hi, the only reason for making it sealed was that there was no plan for other classes to derive from it. you can simply derive your custom truss element class from Element1D and add your properties...
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM

No this library is licensed under LGPL. I think legally you can copy and edit code for your own porpuse…