This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Moment diagram for vertical member

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:40 PM
why on vertical member the moment is calculated on Y axis while for non-vertical the moment is chaining across the Z axis? can you please fix this ?
for example in example 2 the MY component of internal force is represent the bending moment but when it comes to the vertical member the MZ is the answer.
Coordinator
Feb 29, 2016 at 5:37 AM
Are you sure that is a bug?
That is because of local coordination system on elements. You should convert the force, from local to global system (there is method for it on frame element) and see the problem still remains? Please let me know the result. I also will try to do that...

Thanks
Mar 2, 2016 at 5:12 PM
I discovered when the nodes are slightly off the plane the coordinate system of elements flips . for example when I draw elements in ZX plane if the Y coordinate is not exactly zero , this error occurs. I'm experiencing this problem because I import information from CAD software and I receive coordinates like [X:1,Y:0.000001,Z:6] instead of [1,0,6]. I'm using Math.Round (double,int) to round the inputs and avoid this problem. I was wondering if there is a better solution than rounding figures?!
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Thanks for details.

In your example, do you mean that if there be a little different Y of both ends, then local coordination system is totally different with case that there be same Y for both ends?

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:45 PM
epsi1on wrote:
Thanks for details. In your example, do you mean that if there be a little different Y of both ends, then local coordination system is totally different with case that there be same Y for both ends?
Yes, exactly!
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2016 at 6:59 PM
That is because the formulation used for defining the local system and i think cannot be changed.
But there is a WebRotation property on FrameElement2Node that maybe help you.

Thanks
Mar 6, 2016 at 6:25 PM
If I run the model with a single beam and a uniform load ( -1 kn along the global Z) I get negative bending moment in the middle. is this also a problem of local coordinate system ? What need to be changed in code to get positive bending moment in the middle of beam?
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2016 at 5:18 AM

Is the negative value exactly same amount as positive value you do expect?

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:01 PM
very close but not exactly, I'm experiencing some issues in regard to beam stress calculation. do you have time for a quick chat?
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Can you tell me approximately how many percent is different at most?

About chat, it is ok. but I rather chat over discussion forum here (on codeplex) if it is OK for you, as the chat can be probably helpful for other users.

Regards